Master of Architecture
Considering the need for utilising architects who are expert in both research and practice, and considering the desire of many architecture graduates for further education in the postgraduate and Ph.D. programmes, the University of Tehran, which is the oldest university in Iran, began its discontinuous masters programme in 1381(2002). The programme accepts around twenty students every year.
In order to enrich architectural education, the possibility of different design studios with their own particular theme has been catered for. This first of these was the Interior Architecture programme, which began in 1389 (2010). The course accepts around fifteen students a year.
Duration of the Course
In accordance with the regulations set up by the Ministry of Science, Research and Technology, the total teaching units for the Masters of Architecture curriculum is 32 and the duration of the programme is a minimum of four semesters and a maximum of six semesters.
While the students carry out studio design work, they also undergo various theoretical courses which are designed to work in harmony with their design curriculum.
Graduates of the architecture or interior architecture programmes will be able to operate in the following fields or roles:
1. They can become architectural consultants in the design and development of architectural projects and produce design proposals for phase 1 and 2 of a project.
2. They can be architectural consultants in planning, research, environmental, social and architectural studies.
3. Graduates can pursue various research projects and delve deeper into architectural theory.
4. They can oversee the construction process or manage a project.
5. They will be able to form collaborative teams to carry out large-scale architectural projects.
Schools of architecture can play a significant role in solving degenerations problems in urban and architectural spaces. In order for these schools to be more effective, attention must be given to the knowledge and abilities of their graduates.
The Ph.D. programme aims to improve the knowledge and understanding of the graduates of architecture. In order to develop a greater understanding of architecture, a spiritual and a philosophical journey is necessary which is encouraged in these courses. As the earliest written records of architecture show, there is a lot of shared borders between architecture and the sciences, especially social sciences. Explorations and research in these areas and others can lead to significant results and ideas for architects and other parties involved.
In the Ph.D. programme two important points have always been considered:
1. Development of the architectural knowledge, exploring the neighbouring fields and elaborating the research findings.
2. Passing the research findings through the filter of indigenous culture in order to find architectural knowledge that is relevant and useful for the society.
The Ph.D. programme aims to explore architectural knowledge through an interdisciplinary approach. It also aims to produce graduates who show the best qualities of teachers, researchers and wise men and women in architecture. Such people can improve their environments regardless of the conditions and situations that they find themselves in. These graduates can also become valuable teachers for next generations.